My .02 On Depression

I once had someone tell me that depression isn't real. They said "it's all in your head and it's just an excuse to get medicine". Well allow me to respectfully say...that's a load of crap. I'm just saying...
This blog comes from someone who has suffered from depression in a couple of different forms at a couple of different points in my life. I know I have kind of hit on it before but today I really feel on my heart to just put some things out there.
First I will tell you a little bit about me. When I was 16 I was going through major changes. I know...what "major" changes can a normal 16 year old have? Well, mentally/emotionally I was way ahead of my peers. Physically...um not so much. Enter teasing. My style clashed with that of "normal" 16 year olds. I preferred dress clothes and heels most of the time over blue jeans. More teasing. I started my first job. I was home schooled at this point so I almost immediately began working full time. Enter a little stress. I began having relationships and subsequently pressures for things I had never dealt with before. Enter my first break up. Enter sadness.
I know all of that may seem trivial but to me it was a huge deal. I mean, that was the worst my life had ever been (so I thought).
I remember sleeping...a LOT. Like freshman year of high school I would sleep on the bus to school, during a good bit of my classes, on lunch sometimes, and then on the bus home. I would then go in and go to sleep until dinner, and back to bed right after. I spent time with my family but not many other people. Over the course of time my mom got concerned and took me to the Dr. He said (and I quote this) "There is nothing wrong with that child she's just lazy". It wasn't but about two weeks after that I had my first major breakdown.
I was supposed to get up and go to work and when I wasn't up and going my Mom came in to check on me. She found me in my room bawling my eyes out begging her to just "make it all go away". She did what any good Mom would do and promptly made me get dressed. She called me in sick to work, got me and my sister, and we went on a road trip! We literally spent the day driving, window shopping, listening to loud music, and not much more. Things got better after that.
My next round of depression came right after I got married. Not BECAUSE I got married, but because of all the changes that suddenly I had to deal with. I won't go into that but it was pretty rough too. No one really knew about it though. Then I wound up pregnant a few years later. Things were better. I had my son. What should have been the most wonderful time in my life was a NIGHTMARE. My son had colic, my husband worked a thousand hours a week, my family was an hour away...it was oh so bad. The Mother-to-mother Postpartum Depression Support Book By Poulin, Sandra (Google Affiliate Ad)
There have been other times when I've struggled with depression but I'm not going to recount each one. The point is...even sometimes the most unlikely person can have depression. Usually no one even knows it. Depression can be hidden or written off as something else. Sometimes even close family and friends won't know that someone is literally dying inside.
So what to do if you think you have depression? Well don't follow advice that says "hang on it will get better". If you think you are suffering from depression, get help. Get help right away. The sooner you get help the sooner you can get better. And don't just get help from your Dr. Reach out to your family and friends. I found the more support I had, the better I did. Don't be afraid to accept treatment. The first time I had to take medication I was humiliated. I hated to turn to something man made. Well at that point I was too low to accept anything else. It doesn't have to be life long and you can seek other treatments as well. Go to your spiritual advisor. Find a counsellor to speak with. Combine all of the above if you want. The point is get help!
Who is at risk for depression? Well you might know some of the obvious: single parents struggling to make ends meet, elderly that live alone, people with multiple health issues. You might not think though: the high school cheerleader (think lots of image to maintain), the valedictorian (think pressure to be perfect), the picture perfect family on main street (think too many obligations/being stretched too thin/or having to hold on to image).
Also remember depression isn't just about you...it affects everyone. When my depression was at its worst I was hurting myself, my husband, my son, and every other relationship in the process.
Be a good friend/neighbor/family member. If you suspect someone has depression (lots of sleeping, appetite changes, mood changes, or even someone becoming inexplicably perky out of nowhere can be a sign- they could be trying to hide it) talk to them. Sometimes all someone wants is for someone to ask "Hey are you ok".
I know this has been one of my longer blogs and maybe not the most cheerful but hopefully it can help someone today. My challenge for you today is this: If you are suffering from depression, get help. If you know someone suffering from depression, support them. Until next time....
If you enjoyed this post please feel free to share it and check out more on my website below:
AngelaDPayne-Website 

Comments